Sweet Potato Toasts

Like fried rice, omelettes, quiche, wraps, and grain bowls, "Paleo Sweet Potato Toasts" (Paleo Paparazzi) are a great way to use up whatever leftover food is lurking in your fridge. And they're wonderful.



You just slice up and cook some sweet potato, and load up the slices with whatever toppings you have handy.


Yesterday, I cut up mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes and a clove or two of garlic, and cut the kernels off an ear of corn. I fried these things briefly and then coated them in a layer of two beaten eggs, such that I made an ad hoc frittata.


Then I slathered mayonnaise onto my toasted sweet potato, and added the cut-up frittata on top. It was a very satisfying meal.




We're now two weeks into my backup dancer's "summer vacation" from "school." Given that COVID-19 is still rampaging across the country, we did not feel good about sending her to the approximately 86 summer camps we signed her up for waaaaay back in February (February! the good old days), some of which were cancelled anyway, or moved online, which didn't appeal to us. Also, I have the luxury of repurposing myself as a camp counselor, even though that's not at all what I aspire to do with my time,

But here we are, so I designed "Camp Corona At Aylward Manor," which has nine units so far, reflecting the sometimes-overlapping interests of all members of my household:

  • Chirp chirp: Birds!
  • Buzzword: Bees!
  • Hola: Language and Culture!
  • Roots: Our Family History!
  • Picture it: Art and Photography!
  • ’Tisn’t the season: Christmas!
  • Gotta dance: Hollywood Musicals!
  • Stitch in time: Fashion and Sewing!
  • What’s cookin’: Kitchen Science!
  • Fore: Golf!

I started out with a rough schedule but quickly decided that it makes more sense to just pick any activity from any camp when the mood strikes and the weather suits. We have watched a couple musicals so far, for example (Mary Poppins, Funny Face), and we do about a half hour of beginning Spanish every day, thanks to our library offering Rosetta Stone online. We have used an app (Beecology) to identify bumble bees from videos we took, and another app (Song Sleuth) to identify birds from their songs. My backup dancer has demonstrated how to make lemon squares, and sewed a little pillow by herself.

Pillow sewing pattern, from a really cool book called "Sewing School"

What's my daughter's favorite camp unit? Hands down, it's 'Tisn't the season: Christmas. I myself have complicated feelings about Christmas, but my backup dancer is VERY INTO IT, so we threw it into the camp mix. We are going to celebrate Not-Christmas on July 25, with presents and decorations and food and outfits. We even have a theme: British Christmas.



Not-Christmas will be well documented later this month, but I'm sharing this now because I have learned that planning ridiculously elaborate events attended only by the three members of my household is a tactic for surviving the loneliness and boredom of the pandemic. Maybe you want to plan your own Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Festivus celebration for this summer!

Comments