Roasted Veggie Grain Bowl

After a weekend of stuffing myself with things like french fries and chicken wings and the world's most wonderful cookies, yesterday I was craving something balanced and vegetable-heavy (and, of course, meatless). I landed on "Roasted Veggie Grain Bowls" (Love and Lemons).

The page with the recipe offers something very valuable: general guidelines on throwing together a grain bowl. It need not have quinoa; it need not have parsnips and cauliflower and broccolini and Brussels sprouts; it need not have chickpeas; it need not have kale-cilantro sauce; it need not have sauerkraut. If you have a grain, a protein, an acid, some crunch, and a sauce, you're in excellent shape.

With that in mind, I left out the broccolini because there was none at the farmer's market, and instead I used a little extra of this truly splendid romansco broccoli.
Sooooooo prettyyyy

I also skipped the sauerkraut and substituted homemade pickled radishes (credit to Alexandra's Kitchen). When you pickle them, they lose the red on the outside and instead turn a delightful pink all over.

Welcome to the inside of my fridge. Coffee, pickled radishes, apple, yogurt, hummus, and mystery liquid.


The family was pleased with the dish, although my small backup dancer declared she does not like parsnips. Fine: next time I'll substitute something else. Maybe I'll substitute something new for all the ingredients, because the sky's the limit with grain bowls. And this one's vegan! Maybe you want to make it tomorrow, for #VeganVednesday?



If you steel yourself for unpleasantness when you think of kale, as I do, rest assured that the sauce was somehow very good and a perfect complement to the rest of the dish.

Comments