Roasted Chickpeas and Veggies Dinner

Ah, Vegan Vednesday, you have been my Vaterloo. Meatless March was a cinch, but I have had a devil of a time observing veganism once a week. The first week, I pulled an innocent-looking mystery sauce out of the freezer that turned out to contain meat juices. The second week, I confidently ordered pad thai with vegetables, forgetting that it would also include egg. The third week, a travel ordeal left me weak-willed when a tray of dairy-heavy delights appeared in front of me. And last week, I ordered chicken for my backup dancer, and even though I was perfectly satisfied with my own vegan dinner, I ate some the chicken because she wasn't going to finish it, and it looked (and indeed was) so good.

This brings us to today, and I am mighty proud of myself for reaching 9:12pm without having consumed a single animal product. Vegan victory at long last!

I started the day with Anita's coconut yogurt with my own muesli mix, and here I have to express my horror that the yogurt cost ELEVEN DOLLARS at Whole Foods. ELEVEN FREAKING DOLLARS! For a LITTLE TUB OF YOGURT!!! I had bought it once before and I guess it was on sale, because I absolutely would have noticed the first time if it had cost ELEVEN DOLLARS. So this time I got to the cash register and she rang up my total and that's when I realized, and I even said to the cashier "THIS YOGURT COSTS ELEVEN DOLLARS?!" but it felt too late to reject it then. So going forward, I shall be looking for another substitute for dairy yogurt (I assure you it won't be "So Delicious" coconut yogurt, which is more affordable, but absolutely revolting). If anyone has any bright ideas, please let me know.



Anyway, despite the ABSURD PRICE, the yogurt was delicious, as were all the other vegan things I ate today. There was leftover curried coconut corn soup from last night, and a tomato sandwich, and tonight I made "Roasted Chickpeas and Veggies Dinner," from A Garden For The House, for the first time. I was drinking wine as I cooked and perhaps that is why I forgot to add both my luscious farmers market tomatoes, and also the herbs at the end.

My luscious tomatoes, flanked by a kitchen timer and the Liberty Bell replica that I use to summon my backup dancers to the dinner table.

But even without the tomatoes and herbs, I was very happy with the dish. I used just one jalapeño and only a tiny dash of cayenne, and then I was the only one who ate the jalapeños, and I loved that they made the dish very spicy. My backup dancers appreciated the option NOT to make their food spicy.



The seasoning on the crisped chickpeas was addictive. I have probably never enjoyed chickpeas so much.



Check out today's headline from The New York Times' Climate Fwd newsletter, below! The article is a great reminder of why we (you're with me, right?) are are cutting back on our meat and dairy consumption. And by the way, you should sign up for the e-newsletter; it's always a good read with helpful suggestions for doing your part for the planet.



Comments