Vhen Vegan Vednesday Vent Vrong

Yesterday was my third Vegan Vednesday, and it did not go well, which was especially disappointing on the heels of last Wednesday's unwitting consumption of meat juices.

I decided to choke down some more "So Delicious" (HA) coconut milk yogurt for breakfast to avoid food waste. Anything is edible if you stir enough maple syrup into it.

But then for lunch, I was feeling all smug for hitting on the idea of an Asian noodle dish, until I got halfway through my pad Thai and it dawned on me that I was eating bits of egg. Sigh.

"But I can finish strong," I reassured myself, as I boarded a flight for which I had preordered a vegan dinner. *cue the foreboding instrumental music*

We sat on the plane on the runway for FOUR HOURS. When we finally took off and were served dinner, Emma (whose normal bedtime was three hours prior) fell right asleep, with her uneaten tray in front of her. I stared down at my sad rice and soggy veggies, and my hard roll with its oil-based "buttery" spread, as we rocketed through the darkness somewhere south of Prince Edward Island, and guess what? I ate Emma's cheesy pasta and creamy dessert. Heck, by that time it might have been Thursday anyway.

There will always be another Vegan Vednesday, and therefore a new chance to put principles into practice. Keep encouraging me! Remember that climate change and global exploitation of land and water resources are "putting dire pressure on the ability of humanity to feed itself" (and side note: the same NYT article warns that apparently planting a gazillion trees will not solve the problem, much to my disappointment).

I don't have any photos of my vegan failures, so instead I offer you this picture of prairie dogs vegging out on a hot day at the zoo earlier this week. The irony is that I took this photo thinking they were adorable, but when I looked at it later, I realized they look like they had died (rest assured they had not), which makes it the perfect accompaniment to this gloomy post.



BUT: also this capybara and giant tortoise, so we can all feel a little bit better.




Comments