Cauliflower Adobo

Quite some time ago, back before I became so alarmed about meat's deleterious environmental impact, I made "Pork Ribs Adobo" (NYT Cooking; subscription required). I loved it, but had to acknowledge that the sauce was excessively vinegary. I had at least an extra cup of said sauce and it sat in my freezer for a long time, forgotten.

This week, I noticed the sauce in my freezer, labeled simply "adobo sauce - vinegary!" I swear I did not remember that I had cooked meat in the sauce when I decided it could be rejuvenated as a shortcut for "Cauliflower Adobo" (also NYT Cooking). I only realized it when I checked my long-ago cooking notes this morning. We therefore unwittingly ate a meat-infused dish last night, which may explain why it was SO DELICIOUS - the vinegar got milder either in the freezer or during the second simmer, or both.



Even if I'd remembered the sauce's origins, I would still have rejuvenated it. We need not be militant about avoiding meat. If you eat ribs and have a ribby sauce left over, do not throw it away - that would be committing another environmental sin, namely the wasting of food that represents energy and resources used for its production. And you'd be missing out on something yummy! That's a sin, too.

Aside from that adobo sauce error to which I was oblivious, I successfully completed my second Vegan Vednesday. It didn't start well, though. Last week I had genuinely enjoyed a brand of coconut yogurt called Anita's; this week Whole Foods was out of that, and I substituted So Delicious brand, which turned out to be vile. Not So Delicious after all. More like So Disgusting.

But for lunch I recovered with pasta with fresh tomato chunks, olive oil, and homemade olive-based vegan pasta topper, and that was great.


Side note: I might not wear my hair like that anymore because:

Party on! Excellent!

Later, Emma and I respectively enjoyed some Italian ice and sorbet.



We had the cauliflower adobo for dinner with green beans and vegan bread, which was great when I spread some of the adobo sauce on it.




And then I went to a birthday celebration and eschewed--rather than chewed--birthday cake, but I didn't eschew wine! #VinoIsVegan

Comments