Asparagus-Parmesan Bake Wraps

Happy Earth Day!

This tulip was planted in our yard before we bought our house, 8+ years ago.  It almost never blooms, but this year it did!

When you have a blog devoted to cooking, people think you love cooking. I do not love cooking

Most days around 5:00 I drag myself toward the kitchen with the feeling that I'd rather go anywhere else. I find meal planning to be a chore, and I hate grocery shopping. 

Cooking is a means to an end for me, more healthy and economical than eating out or ordering in all the time. The point of this blog is eating (and therefore cooking) in ways that don't exacerbate global warming: I minimize meat and dairy, and I avoid food waste, and I urge others to do the same.

So what I do love? I love fashion. I love looking at clothes, and touching clothes, and imagining exciting ways to wear clothes. I love dressing up and getting compliments on an outfit. I love costumes

As with my approach to eating/cooking, my approach to fashion is to do it in ways that are gentle to the Earth. For example:

  • Rather than throwing clothes away if they no longer please or fit me, or if they have holes or stains, I re-home or modify them to give them new life (see here and here)
  • I try to choose garments that will serve me for a long time
  • An increasing portion of my wardrobe is secondhand
  • I seek out clothes made from natural and recycled fibers
  • I favor eco-friendly laundry practices

And as with my proselytizing about sustainable food choices, I try to get others to adopt a sustainable clothing philosophy. That is why I am delighted to share a two-page Earth Day publication that I helped create for my small backup dancer's elementary school, where I am co-leader of the Green Team. The publication highlights kids setting an example for all of us about how to make eco-friendly clothing choices. Please take a look at it, especially the 12 simple tips on the back page!


Did you come to the blog today because you're hungry for food rather than fashion? I've got you covered. Tonight I used "Asparagus-Parmesan Bake" (A Way to Garden) as a starting point, and I embellished. I had a small stalk of broccoli that I chopped finely and added, for starters.

Adding chopped parsley

As it went into the oven

I didn't have any carbs to serve with it, but I did have some gluten-free tortillas in the fridge, so I stuck two fat stalks of asparagus and some of the egg mix inside each of those with some avocado slices, and the result was a tasty but entirely uninteresting-looking wrap.

It wasn't much to look at, I must say, but it tasted good

Healthy, easy, and most importantly, vegetarian. Love your planet, people!

Comments