Tomato-Chili Pasta and Parmesan Cauliflower

Before we dive into the food, indulge me in a moment of silence for my beloved suede boots, which finally sprouted holes after serving me well since (gulp) COLLEGE.


I actually remember the moment I first laid eyes on them, in Rosedale Mall. I didn't have much money but I had to have them, and I think we can all agree, *cough cough* years later, that they turned out to be a phenomenal investment. They lasted about as long as my high school soccer shorts, which I just had to throw away a few years ago. I have visions of the shorts and the boots frolicking together through the wispy clouds of my wardrobe's afterlife. Ahhh.

My departed clothes, may they rest in peace, are not entirely off topic for this blog, because this blog is about environmentalism, and they illustrate the environmental virtue of waste avoidance. Hang onto your stuff as long as you can. If you don't want it anymore but it still has life left in it, find it another good home.

I embodied another environmental virtue, vegetarianism, with an old recipe, "Tomato-Chili Sauce with Avocado and Cilantro" (Pasta Sauces cookbook), and a new one, "Roasted Parmesan-Crusted Cauliflower" (hyphen mine) (Recipe Tin Eats). The pasta is vegan, actually! Environmental bonus points.



The former is an old favorite. I make it without the cilantro, and this time I used a large fresh tomato rather than canned. If you're going to go that route, I recommend two large tomatoes, but it was good anyway.



The cauliflower was fine, but it wasn't as good as it looked online, and the coating didn't adhere perfectly.





Unfortunately, I cut myself with a knife while cooking tonight.


Now I not only look like I'm perpetually on the verge of saying "And another thing...", but I can't type with this bandage. I am typing this post with two fingers. It is maddening.

Today's third downer, on top of the boots and the wound, was the last day of the Maplewood farmer's Market. I despaired a few weeks ago when the one in South Orange ended, but got a reprieve when I learned I could schlep to Maplewood. No more. Now we just hunker down and suffer root vegetables till spring, more or less.

Sad face

Still! There is the feast of Thanksgiving to look forward to this week. Remember, I'm not vegetarian on Thanksgiving!

Or on Friendsgiving!





Comments