Sun-Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Pasta

There are a lot of winners--both meatless and meaty--in the cookbook "Pasta Sauces," by Christine McFadden (Parragon Publishing, 2004). Tonight I made the Sun-Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese sauce, and served it on penne. It was yummy, and easy.




I forgot to add the basil at the end, but still delicious. 

I served the pasta with Carrots du Amour, which is our slight variation on a recipe by Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

Julie does not call it Carrots du Amour. We started calling it that years ago when a friend solicited recipes to impress a date for whom he was cooking dinner, and we recommended this one:


Carrots du Amour (about 4 servings)
1.5 lb carrots
1 c water (note that if you increase the amount of carrots, do NOT increase the water proportionately! Stick with one cup)
2T sugar
1.5T butter
Salt

Peel the carrots and cut them into 2-3" chunks. Put carrot pieces in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan with water, and bring to a bowl. Add the butter, sugar, and salt, and half-cover. Cook on low heat, just enough to maintain the boil, stirring occasionally. Check regularly to see when the water mixture has evaporated, leaving a nice glaze on the carrots, then remove the carrots from the heat immediately to prevent burning. 

You'll want the carrots to cook for at least 25 minutes, but if you still have a lot of water left in the pan after the carrots get soft, you can remove the lid and turn up the heat till they're finished.


I also made chocolate chip cookies today. Are you drooling?



As you know, my vegetarianism this month is an element of taking what actions I can, as an individual, to combat climate change. Shifting to diets with a greater share of plant-based foods could significantly reduce agriculture’s pressure on the environment, according to the World Resources Institute. Want to take that idea one step further? How about growing your own food?!

We have wildlife frolicking all over our yard at all times, so I don't set myself up for defeat by growing a lot of veggies. However, we had a lovely crop of shishito peppers last year, and I accidentally grew some tomatoes from seeds that were in my compost, and I always grow herbs. This year we're adding bell peppers to the garden. We sowed the seeds in self-made mini-greenhouses today. They'll finish out winter in those mini-greenhouses; our version is yogurt containers with clear lids, with holes punched in top and bottom - which is also a great way to reuse plastic that would otherwise be discarded; another plus for the environment! The seeds will germinate when the weather warms up, and then we'll transplant the seedlings into the garden. It is fun, and there's nothing like eating food you've grown yourself.



If you want to know more about my gardening exploits, you can read the boring blog I write essentially for myself. Note that I don't update it in the winter. Maybe I'll try to jazz up the writing this spring if that blog might get more (by which I mean "any") readers. But in full disclosure, if you're interested in vegetable gardening, my blog is mostly about growing flowers. I love flowers.

Comments