Crock Pot Minestrone Soup

Making "Crock Pot Vegetable Minestrone Soup" (The Spruce Eats), a week or so ago, appealed to me for several reasons:
  • It was vegan
  • It showcased some produce from one of the last farmers markets of the season (I'm trying not to cry)
  • A soup is always a welcome cold-weather entree
  • I wasn't going to be home in late afternoon, but I could throw it early into the crockpot and it would be waiting for me at dinnertime
  • It allowed me to use up some egg noodles that had been languishing in the back of my cupboard (I substituted them for the macaroni)



So it checked a lot of boxes, and it turned out well. We enjoyed it with toast on the side. AND YET...

To tell you the truth, for as long as I can remember, I have always found minestrone boring, and nothing has changed. NOTHING HAS CHANGED! Minestrone is still boring. I am afraid that minestrone will always be boring. We deserve better from food, don't we?



I just read an opinion piece arguing that Americans can find common ground in the recipes we enjoy on Thanksgiving, many of which have their roots in indigenous foods. The piece offers a welcome reminder about the whitewashed "history" of Thanksgiving, and gives us an alternative food-based focus.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, you might be wondering about my stance on turkey, given that I am trying to address climate change by eating less meat. I am not actually a vegetarian, but I have moved a long way toward a view of meat as a treat - something to save for special occasions, especially when we're willing to pay a little more for an animal that's raised (and then killed and processed) as sustainably as possible. And poultry's not as bad for the planet as those belching cows. On Thanksgiving, bring on the bird!

But then refocus on the steps you can take to fight climate change, including eating less meat. The Lancet medical journal just published its 2019 report on the health effects of climate change, reporting that "A child born today will experience a world that is more than four degrees warmer than the pre-industrial average, with climate change impacting human health from infancy and adolescence to adulthood and old age." Climate change's challenges to health include food insecurity, pollution, extreme weather conditions, and improving conditions for disease transmission.

We have the power to fix this. Let's act.

Comments