Sheet-Pan Noodles With Bok Choy and Tofu

Happy Vegan Vednesday to those who celebrate it! I have now twice made "Crispy Sheet-Pan Noodles With Glazed Tofu" (NYT Cooking; subscription required). It's a good vegan recipe, so you're doing the Earth a solid favor, but do yourself a solid, too, by doubling the sauce. 

I used gluten-free noodles



As a lover of leftovers, I am sad to report that this dish loses some magic in the reheating, so serve it for some friends, and then you won't have leftovers.

I love leftovers because they save me from cooking new meals, but also because food waste represents 1) a waste of all the energy and resources that went into producing the food, and 2) needless greenhouse gas emissions. I minimize food waste in the following ways:

  • I plan a week's worth of dinners at a time, putting them on my calendar with a link to the recipe. I don't follow the schedule religiously, but it is a guide for what we can eat on what day. I order the groceries I need to make those meals. Lunch is usually leftovers in some form!
  • I make no-recipe dishes that use up any fridge and pantry orphans - see my July 7, 2020 post for ideas.
  • I freeze any leftovers that we won't be eating within a couple days. The leftovers get thawed and reheated at a future date.

I finally took the plunge into gluten-free bread baking this past weekend. My recipe was "Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread" (King Arthur). My yeast was of questionable age, and the dough did not appear to have risen at all an hour after I stuck it in the pan. Despairing, I abandoned it and went out to eat. When I returned, lo and behold, it was risen: a biblical-style miracle. So I baked it! 

The result was okay: it was at least as good as the gluten-free breads you can buy at the grocery store. Yeasted dough products are the biggest loss when you are avoiding gluten. While a lot of gluten-free foods are delicious, there simply isn't a great gluten-free bread as far as I know. It sure was a pretty loaf, though!



Comments