Vegan White Chili

"Vegan White Chili" (Ve Eat Cook Bake) is easy. While it's not much to look at, I found it plenty flavorful despite my substitution of almonds for cashews.

The almond paste didn't work great, but it sufficed

And dig this substitution: I didn't have juniper berries (who does?) so I used gin instead of wine to deglaze the pan. I'm feeling pretty smug about that stroke of brilliance.


Consider making the chili for Vegan Vednesday.

My approach to cooking and baking is similar to my approach to flower gardening: You try something, and if it doesn't work out, you try something different later (and order a pizza in the meantime). The basics of my garden were "installed" in 2016, and I have been experimenting on it ever since.

2016

This week

Today, it has matured to the point where all the plants seem super-sized, or perhaps I have shrunk. I love the garden so much. When I'm not outside admiring it, I often walk over to a window to gaze upon it through the glass, and then I wonder what is wrong with anyone passing by who does not turn their head toward my glorious flowers.

You know who never fails to notice them? Deer, groundhogs, rabbits, and the accursed squirrels, all of whom are bent on plant destruction. Why can't they eat something useful, like weeds, or each other?

If you see this deer, tell her to scram, like I do, usually while sprinting across my yard in my bathrobe and muttering curses

Yeah, you'd BETTER run, you little jerk

I employ some environmentally friendly practices on our property, like mowing the back yard with a reel mower, using compost as a natural fertilizer, and "leaving the leaves" or raking them - not blowing! And we don't use mosquito sprays, which also harm beneficial pollinators and everything up the food chain. For more tips like these, my friend Georgia has written an excellent, concise new Home Eco-Guide to help people improve the sustainability of our indoor and outdoor spaces. Browse the online version and choose some actions to take!

Locals can pick up hard copies at Yellow Rose Vegan Bakery and other businesses

Enjoy some of my garden's loveliness:

Mock Orange: smells divine


I photographed this allium at night, isn't that cool?

Foreground to background: lupine, scabiosa, and cornflower

Sweet peas, and larkspur and baptisia in background


Comments