Kale and Lentil Salad

I'm not one of those people who loses interest in food in times of stress, like Marissa Tomei. I never, EVER skip a meal. I start looking forward to lunch after I finish breakfast. And I have a problem with sugar, which has gotten worse in the current Dark Times. There. I said it.

I read that data shows people are consuming less sugar since the pandemic started, and I am not proud to say that in this house we are bucking the trend. For example, my backup dancer was super eager to make a cherry upside down cake, so we tried it last week. Unfortunately a lot of the topping was left in the pan when I flipped it, plus the cake didn't really have a lot of chocolate or cherry flavor - it was just super sweet. These disappointments did not stop me from eating the cake, not in the slightest. I ate a lot of that cake, which is now gone.



Perhaps to compensate, I am also committed to eating a lot of the healthy kale and lentil salad (Bon Appetit) that I made last night, but it's no pleasure. Do you like kale? If any of you actually likes kale,  you would probably like this salad. One of my backup dancers suggested that some mandarin orange pieces would make it better, but let's be honest, I'm never making it again. I guess I'm always looking for those elusive recipes that can make kale taste good to me; this wasn't it (but this one's good: https://gomeatlessmarch.blogspot.com/2019/11/farro-cassoulet-with-beyond-sausage.html).

Look at the sheer joy on my backup dancer's face as she consumes this healthy meal. Oh and yes, we sometimes dress for dinner these days, like we live at Downton Abbey or something.

Fortunately, as this blog documents, there are plenty of delicious meatless recipes to which we can turn. I eat a largely plant-based diet, despite my lifelong love of meat, because raising livestock for food contributes to climate change and other environmental problems. And I take whatever other steps I can to support the environment, including educating other people about the problem of climate change and the ways to address the problem. I am therefore completely delighted to learn that my state of New Jersey will be the first in the country to incorporate climate change into school curriculums. Young people are already a driving force behind climate action, and they need the tools to address the climate crisis as adults.


Comments