Baked Rajma and Cauliflower Toasts

If someone has the time to make "Baked Rajma" for dinner one night and "Cheesy Cauliflower Toasts" for lunch the next day (both NYT Cooking), she must have her act together, right?

Wrong. I want you to know she is still the kind of person who can miss her daughter's scheduled chats with a teacher, TWICE IN TWO DAYS, even though there was literally nothing else on her schedule, and she is also allowing dust to accumulate in her TV room to a degree that it invites adornment.

Sigh

But focusing on the positive, I was quite pleased with how both these meals turned out.

Baked Rajma

I am happy to report that half a jalapeƱo and a knob of ginger did not make the rajma spicy, and everyone liked it pretty well.

Onion/jalapeno/ginger/garlic mix

Distressingly, I have run out of chili powder, but I substituted paprika. I didn't have heavy cream but used half mozzarella, and...wait for it...half half-and-half.

Before it went in the oven

I used a heaping 1/2-cup of dried beans soaked for 20 hours in 4 c water and they still weren't ideally soft, so it would be best to go with canned beans if you make this.

While the rajma was a Punjabi-style dish, I did not entirely overlook that yesterday was Cinco de Mayo.


She's no Stanley Tucci, but my fantastic friend Ginge (@thebritishrealtor) has you covered if you still need a margarita fix.

The cauliflower toast was to use up what was left from a mammoth head I had partially used for a cauliflower pizza crust. Emma was put off by the smell, but I thought they tasted lovely and they reminded me of tuna melts in their consistency. It's good comfort food of the sort we are all seeking.



I made the toasts with regular store-bought sandwich bread, because my yeast has lost its oomph, but I'm soon getting resupplied with an order from Dry Goods Refillery, which offers once-a-week curbside pickup. This is a store that was just getting up to speed before COVID-19 hit, and I love the model of bringing your own containers to stock up (same concept as Good Bottle Refill Shop, housed in the same storefront!) - it's very environmentally friendly.

Comments