Meatless Chili

If you want to be seen in a whole new light at this current, fraught moment in history, I found out today how to accomplish that: have a coughing fit in public. It came out of nowhere; I have not been feeling sick. I just got a tickle in my throat. But if I were one of the coronavirus-panicking onlookers watching someone cough so much that her eyes watered and she couldn't speak, I would want to run for the hills, too! It was mortifying.

And you never know, do you? While I think probably I just walked into some dust or pollen, maybe I have been infected with the virus. A lot of us COULD get infected. Let's keep our heads, either way. And fear not, I have worked in public health for a long time, so I have always been high on hygiene.

#HighOnHygiene. I'm a branding genius.

I like the argument in a new Fast Company piece: "What would happen if the world reacted to climate change like it’s reacting to the coronavirus?" It's moving on a slower time scale, but climate change is on track to eventually upend most people's way of life. It would be such an exquisite relief if more decision-makers felt that problem was worthy of attention and resources.

Meanwhile, I do what I can as an individual to address climate change, including eating less meat - and forgoing it entirely in March (with the exception of that accidental sushi, sigh). And so much the better if we observe #VeganVednesday once a week. I approach #VeganVednesday with an utter lack of enthusiasm, I admit, but I do it every darned week because climate change depresses and, yes, terrifies me like a killer virus.

"Vegan Chili" (NYT Cooking; subscription required) is really good even if you eat it with cheese and sour cream, as I did on Sunday when I was not subjecting myself to veganism. It was good enough that I was excited about the leftovers for lunch the next day. So much flavor! I used six Beyond Sausages (original brat flavor), stripped of their casing, as the fake meat. As the recipe author described in a recent NYT piece, breaking up fake meat and putting it into a flavorful dish is the best use for fake meats. It was also pretty easy. The only downside is that it had a mild-to-moderate amount of heat, which I thought was perfect, but that meant I couldn't serve it to my small backup dancer. MORE FOR ME.

I deeply regret that I was cooking for friends and got caught up enough in socializing that I did not take any photos of the cooking or the finished product. Next time!

Back to coronavirus (sorry): while others are stockpiling hand sanitizer and toilet paper, I accidentally stockpiled butter.



I'd be at the store and think "do I need butter?" and apparently I did NOT need butter, not at all, but I never remembered that when standing in front of the butter during trips to the store. I guess there will be some baking in my future.

Comments