Vegetarian Sushi

I have always resisted giving up occasional sushi, even as I have cut down on eating meat generally over the past year. I love sushi. But a couple months ago, I decided to try a "shiitake and avocado roll," and much to my surprise, it was great.

Tonight, uninterested in going to the store to buy something to cook for dinner, I requested that my backup dancer order sushi, and add a "shiitake and avocado roll" as well as a "sweet tofu and avocado roll" to the order for me.

I liked the looks of this tofu roll when it arrived, and I liked the flavor, too. I was deeply impressed by how much the tasted like fish. "It has a little heat, too," I effused to my backup dancers.



Meanwhile, my small and spice-fearing backup dancer was avoiding three pieces of California roll that she felt had brushed up against the ginger that they always stick in the sushi containers. She was irrationally certain that some spiciness had contaminated those pieces. "That roll cost like $6.50," I scolded. "You can't leave half of it there for no good reason."

This prompted my other backup dancer to look at his receipt to verify the actual cost of a California roll, which turned out to be $5.50. "Your spicy tuna roll cost $8.00," he informed me.

"My WHAT?"

It turns out that he had inadvertently ordered me a TUNA roll rather than a TOFU roll - which is $5.50, for the record, and who knows whether it's really any good, because I didn't get to try it.



That was an innocent mistake, but while I'm lamenting things, how about the plastic containers of soy sauce and the disposable chopsticks that Sakura (Millburn, NJ - that's right, I'm naming names) included with the order even though my backup dancer requested them not to? And worse, how about those non-recyclable plastic containers that they always send the food in, and that stupid plastic grass in the containers? Ugh.

Back to cooking tomorrow.

Comments