Meatless March 2020

A year ago, I took a stab at Meatless March. It was not so hard. So we're doing it again, people, although I'm going to be perfectly honest and let you know that I did not finish a tub of smoked salmon in my fridge before Mar. 1, and I fully intend to finish it during this otherwise meatless month. Over-consuming animal products is an environmental problem, but so is food waste (seriously).

You won't be seeing a new recipe from me every day because I've been largely vegetarian for a year, and when I need an idea for a meal, I often look back at my own blog posts. Tonight, for example, I made a grain bowl, just like I first did on November 12.

Roasted brussels sprouts, broccolini, and chickpeas; homemade pickled carrots; quinoa; sauce. Mmmmmmm. And healthy!

This is a loose recipe for deliciousness. It was particularly rewarding because I had some leftover kale and cilantro in my fridge from a previous recipe. It only takes 4 large kale leaves to make a packed cup of chopped kale for the grain bowl sauce, and that's exactly what I had.

Kale-cilantro sauce. Don't ask about my odd expression. My selfie game has been a little off.

I have not been the only one focused on vegetarianing (and veganing on Vednesdays) this past year. According to Gallup in January, "Nearly one in four Americans (23%) report eating less meat in the past year than they had previously." Many of Gallup's survey respondents were eating less meat for health reasons. To me, that's a magical thing, because the whole darned world reaps the environmental benefits of those people's choice to be healthier.

And even if 72% of Americans have NOT reduced their meat consumption, and environmental concerns aren't behind most people's dietary changes away from meat, at least protecting the environment is becoming a greater priority. In February, Pew Research Center reported that "nearly as many Americans say protecting the environment should be a top policy priority (64%) as say this about strengthening the economy (67%)" for the first time in its polling history. Progress!

It has nothing to do with vegetarianism, but I'm so lucky that two of my college roomies visited me last weekend!




Comments