Vegetable Farro Soup plus Crispy Potatoes

Another Vegan Vednesday is drawing to a close and I'm just (yawn) gonna give you the quick rundown before I hit the hay.

First, remember how I recently added fake sausages to a pasta, and also recently made a dish with mini-potatoes for brunch? Finding myself with leftover fake sausage and potatoes a couple days ago, I made "Crispy Sautéed Potatoes with Rosemary" (How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman) and simply added fake sausage pieces with seven minutes remaining in the cook time.

Right after adding "sausage"



Two thumbs up. Recipe below.




That was vegan, and I had the leftovers for Vegan Vednesday lunch today. For dinner, I made a soup based on "Slow Cooker Vegetable Barley Soup" (Cookin' Canuck), with a bunch of substitutions: faro for barley, all veg broth and no H20, 1 large fresh tomato instead of canned, frozen peas instead of beans, no sweet potato. Was it even still the same recipe, in the end? Probably not, so then don't be deterred when I tell you it didn't turn out all that great. Not awful, but nothing special at all. No photos, sorry!

You don't need a subscription to receive The New York Times' Climate Forward email newsletter, and it's always full of interesting stuff. Last week it included a piece about what we know and don't know about food and climate change. It acknowledged unanswered questions, but reaffirmed that "meat usually has a much larger greenhouse gas impact than plant-based foods. And beef has the biggest impact of all, with a climate footprint that’s about five times as large as chicken or pork, on average." And food accounts "for about one-quarter of humanity’s greenhouse gases."

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in making and blogging about and instagramming meatless food (or vegan food, on Vednesdays!) that I forget to explain myself to anyone who's joining this program already in progress. I'm doing it to save the planet! It is very intentional and sometimes (cough cough Vednesdays) I find it quite difficult, but it's a way that I can contribute to fighting climate change as an individual, and SO CAN YOU. Thanks for considering.

Comments