Huevos Rotos

For brunch this morning I gave "Huevos Rotos (Broken Eggs)" (NYT Cooking; subscription required) a whirl, and it turned out great. I did need to cook the potatoes a little longer than recommended to get them soft, and I cooked the eggs all the way through per my backup dancers' preferences. I used red pepper flakes and the spiciness was subtle and delicious. I recommend them with English muffins (yep, I made them for the 2nd weekend brunch in a row) to mop up the juices.

Sharp-eyed readers will spot a cinnamon roll on Pat's plate. After making them last weekend, I froze a bunch to reheat today. I have to say they were inferior when reheated, but still good.

You may recall that thanks to my compost, we accidentally grew a small melon in our front garden this year. It finally ripened and was ready for harvest on Friday! You can tell it's ready to harvest when it smells fragrant and comes easily off the vine, I learned from Google.



Yesterday we sliced it open, and it was a thing of great beauty.



It didn't have much flavor, sadly, but the texture was perfect. Emma ate this whole bowl of it.


Comments