Creamy White Bean and Fennel Casserole

Fennel continues to fill me with bafflement, so I am not sure why I was so eager to cook "Creamy White Bean and Fennel Casserole" (NYT Cooking; subscription required), but it's been on my list for a while. I guess I thought it looked like a warm and comforting dish for a chilly day.

While we haven't had a lot of chilly days lately, fall finally arrived really very suddenly around 6pm on Wednesday, so Thursday's the day I retrieved this recipe and pulled out my cast-iron skillet.

And that was actually the only way in which I screwed up this dish: it's annoying when your recipe calls vaguely for a "large" skillet and then it turns out your skillet isn't large enough. I figured it out quickly, and proceeded in a Le Creuset pot instead. But that meant later having to wash the skillet AND the pot, and for the extra dish to wash, I shall never, ever forgive NYT Cooking's Aaron Hutcherson.



I had doubts by the time I got the dish into the oven. What had I been thinking, I wondered? Fennel is DEEPLY WEIRD. Why did I think this would taste good? But there was nothing to be done at that point. This was going to be dinner, deeply weird or not.

Pre-oven

Post-oven

And then, miraculously, it tasted good! My backup dancers apologetically ate AROUND the fennel, to be sure, but they liked the taste of the dish a lot, and the beans, and I did too. It was not licorice-like in the least; it actually had a great blend of flavors, and a pleasant creamy texture. I do think it would make a better side dish than a main, though.



Needless to say, I did not serve a green salad alongside this dish, as Aaron Hutcherson suggested. It's like you don't even know me, Aaron.*

*Aaron Hutcherson does not, in fact, know me.


Comments