Sweet Potato-Pepper Soup

Last night I attended a very nice reception for University of Minnesota alumni, and I had to say "no thank you" a thousand times to trays of mini-crabcakes and tiny smoked salmon toasts and gourmet pigs-in-a-blanket. Finally, a tray of vegetarian quesadilla slices appeared. I practically grabbed the tray out of the server's hands and wolfed them down. Despite the lack of sustenance at the event, I did meet some lovely people.

Earlier in the day, I got to try my first Impossible Burger for lunch, and it was everything we have been promised. I would be perfectly happy never eating a beef burger again if these were available everywhere, and that is really saying something, for me.

Impossible Burger

Tonight for dinner I made "Dr. Weil's Sweet Potato-Poblano Soup" from Martha Stewart's website. Who is Dr. Weil? Martha does not condescend to tell us.

I did change the recipe, which is vegan, in some key ways. The reviews for this soup all noted that 3 quarts of water seemed like wayyyyy too much, so I used 4 cups of veggie stock, instead, and that worked out very well. There were no poblanos at the grocery store, so I used a red bell pepper. And since I am apparently incapable of remembering every item on my grocery list, even when I'm staring right at it, I forgot to get frozen corn.



It was okay; nothing great. It was fairly spicy, and I'm surprised (and pleased) that Emma complained only a little. We are incredibly fortunate that the kid will eat almost anything, but she does object to spiciness.

The recipe contains fennel. Fennel has always baffled me, but to be honest, I couldn't even pick out its taste it in this soup.

Fennel vision

Comments