Red Lentil Soup

A friend recommended "Red Lentil Soup With Lemon" (NYT Cooking; subscription required) and when I went to the recipe, I realized I had made it before, who knows when. I'd given it 5/5 stars, and then promptly forgotten about it. Welcome back to the menu, red lentil soup! And you were right on time for Vegan Vednesday.

After years and years of making my own stock, I just discovered a hack: instead of pressing on the cooked vegetables in the strainer to squeeze their juices out, it worked really well to place a bowl on top of them, and press on the inside of the bowl such that the outside of the bowl presses on the veggies.



As far as the soup goes, you may be wondering what Jennie screwed up this time, and the answer is that I didn't have a full cup of red lentils, so I supplemented with French lentils.



The resulting color wasn't as nice as with all red, but the taste was still great, and liked by all, including our guest Brian. I served bread on the side.



At any given moment, there are several tabs open on my browser with environment-related news that I tell myself I should relay to my legions of readers. These have started to pile up so here are a few quick notes and links:


Remember my dismay at needing to purchase water bottles at a recent event in my town? I went to the town's Environmental Commission meeting this month and asked whether they would try to solve this problem, and they said yes! Sometimes all you need to do is ask to get things moving.

My personal environment is undergoing a makeover as we are doing an extensive renovation of our back yard. The other day the workers had removed some hideous old storage containers, and look what we found underneath? A dried-out squirrel carcass! Emma was oddly tickled by this finding.

Here's something you don't usually see in a food-oriented blog!


Comments