Slow Cooker Coconut Ginger Tofu

At some point in my wicked past, I made "Slow Cooker Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables" (Simple Bites), and made twice as much of the garlic/ginger/onion paste as I needed. I stashed the extra in my freezer. Today, I reincarnated it in a vegan version of the dish, with tofu rather than chicken.

For about 2 hours and 45 minutes, I had the slow cooker on low with the defrosted paste, all the coconut milk (my Trader Joe's can didn't have the cream clumped at the top, so whatever), and the baby corn (twice as much as called for in the recipe, just because I had it). Meanwhile, I mixed the spices....

Shake it, baby
...and sauteed them in coconut oil (not olive oil and butter) for 2-3 minutes, then threw in pressed and cubed tofu, and sautéed for about 10-15 minutes, turning to brown them on as many sides as possible.

I fished about 3/4 cup of the crockpot liquids out and mixed them with the cornstarch, then I put that mix and the tofu into the crockpot with frozen veggies.

In the crockpot
I let it all heat through (about 30-40 minutes) and then served it over rice. It's not as flavorful as with chicken, but it's really tasty, nonetheless. Emma practically inhaled it and pleaded for me to send some with her for lunch at school tomorrow.



[Update from October 2020: another way to do this that is just as good is to sauté the aromatics and then add the tofu to the pan and saute until browned, and then put those the crockpot with the corn and coco milk, and cook for a few hours. Then add frozen veg and heat through. I'm not sure you even need the cornstarch.]

Emma was eager to make a recipe from her "Baking Class" cookbook so we made sugar cookies. She loved making and eating them, but I wouldn't repeat this recipe - it needed salt and maybe other additions. I'm really noting this here not for your benefit but for my own, so I can refer back to it, rather than writing in Emma's cookbook the way I write notes all over my own cookbooks (and can then never replace or get rid of them!).

Today was my town's annual Play Day, with inflatables and games and toys and all sorts of other fun things set up in the streets downtown.



It is always a good time, but this year I noticed a glaring lack: where to fill a water bottle? I'd thought I had this covered when I left the house for Play Day. I didn't want to carry around a reusable water bottle, so my plan was to walk a block out of our way when we needed water, and drink from the fountain at the library. However, the library had many tables and staff at Play Day, and so we found that the building was closed. Then we found a public drinking fountain at a nearby playground to be out of order. And so I was forced to self-loathingly buying a plastic bottle of water, and another one later when we got thirsty again.

This is a five-hour event attended by thousands of people! For next year, I'll be prevailing on the organizers to set up a drinking water station.

Comments