Tomato Pie

During Meatless March, I was itching to make one of my favorite recipes, "Classic Tomato Pie" (A Garden For The House blog), but alas, it demands luscious ripe tomatoes, a laughable idea in March. But now it is July! And those farmers market tomatoes are things of great beauty. Actually all the produce for tonight's dinner came from the market.

I always use my longtime trusty pastry crust recipe, "Never-Fail Pastry" (see https://gomeatlessmarch.blogspot.com/2019/03/mushroom-parmesan-tart.html), rather than the biscuits called for in the recipe. And rather than a cup of mayo, I do a spoonful of mayo and make up the rest with non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Healthier and, dare I say it, tastier!

I don't know how other people seed tomatoes, but I slice them in half and then scoop out the seeds into the sink, and proceed. And I leave the slices in a strainer over a bowl for a while, so they relinquish a little of their juices before I stick them in the pie.



I had also hoped to grill ears of corn, and "Glazed Grilled Carrots" (NYT Cooking; subscription required), but it rained apocalyptically today. So I steamed the corn and threw the carrots in the oven, and all was well.

I made a dessert from a cookbook called "Nestle Year-Round Recipes." You will perhaps recall me earlier having made some peanut-butter-and-jelly bars from this cookbook that were so good that I gained like five pounds, so I was enthusiastic about "Citrus-Iced Mock Margarita Bars."

As I was making the frosting, I started thinking: there I was, with the flavors of a mock margarita....should I make myself a real margarita? So I did!



The frosting was sort of a downfall of the bars. It needed a LOT more powdered sugar than called for in the recipe to be a spreadable consistency, which led to a lot more frosting than the bars needed. So if you make these, then just cut back on all the other ingredients of the frosting. Also, I separated out half the frosting and added a teaspoon of tequila to it, and frosted the (adult) half of the bars with that, but I couldn't even taste the tequila, which disappointed me.



I had hoped to take more pictures of all the things in progress but time starting running short before our guests arrived, driving me to that point where I panic a little and start using every pot, pan, utensil, cutting board, and measuring cup in my kitchen. Photography fell by the wayside. But I did get some pictures of our lovely guests with their plated food.

Gotta love Lucas's sincerely overjoyed expression in this photo. Side note: have you been to Toy Division in Maplewood, NJ? It is a fun place!




Circling back to the opening theme of this post, I love the tomato pie and highly recommend you make it.

Comments