Barley Gratin with Cherry Tomatoes

I have successfully made "Barley Gratin with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes" (from Food & Wine) previously, and somehow this time it made about 2 cups too much for my pan. I used 1 cup of farro instead of 1 cup of the barley because I didn't have enough barley, so maybe that made the difference. Or maybe SOMETHING has to go wrong every time I tie on an apron, metaphorically of course, since I almost never cook with an apron, because I like to live on the edge.

I went to the store to buy caraway seeds for this recipe. What was the ONE SPICE that was not in stock?? Ughhh. But fear not, I found them elsewhere.

I saved those 2 cups of the barley-mushroom-etc mix for some other purpose and soldiered on, and it turned out well, as it had last time. It's good comfort food.

Stirring the barley mix and the onion-mushroom mix into the cheese mix



Emma and I decided to bake a dessert tonight to go with dinner. We made "Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars," from "Nestle Year-Round Recipes." I had never tried this recipe before. They are goooooooooood. I used half chocolate chips and half butterscotch because (can you sense the theme here?) I didn't have enough chocolate.






Counting Crows' "Mr. Jones" has been running through my head lately (I felt so symbolic yesterday) and so while we were baking, I pulled it up on YouTube, and then YouTube rewarded me with a whole slew of excellent 90s tunes. We had fun.

Comments