Further Environmentally Friendly Seafood Choices

As noted in my most recent post, even if you're not going the whole hog (ha) on vegetarianism, there are choices you can make that are better for the earth than others. Seafood rather than red meat, for example, and if you're doing seafood, anchovies rather than shrimp or lobsters.

With that in mind, I made "Lemony Pasta With Kelp, Chile and Anchovies" today (NYT Cooking, subscription required) for lunch.



I ordered my kelp from Atlantic Sea Farms. I fear that their pride in using environmentally friendly packing materials may be misplaced, given that they recommend you choose overnight shipping, because otherwise your frozen kelp won't stay frozen, because....of their environmentally friendly packing materials. But anyway, now I have plenty of kelp to last for a while.

It was delicious and I would make it again, but I wasn't blown away. I think the kelp smoothie packets could have used a further puree; the kelp was a little hard to manage because still stringy. I would also suggest that the non-oil and -butter parts of the sauce should be doubled.

In the afternoon, I went into New York with my dad, who is visiting through Tuesday. We visited what we think ought to be called The Pineapple, and later we saw a musical that I loved: "High-Button Shoes," at New York City Center. It was funny and the choreography was wonderful, and how many musicals are set in New Jersey?!

Hanging out at The Pineapple


For dinner, we went to a French restaurant, La Bonne Soupe. Everything was excellent. I had a French onion soup that almost certainly was not vegetarian - if that wasn't a beef broth base, I don't know how they make it so crazy tasty. Désolé, les vaches!


Comments