Environmentally Friendly Seafood Choices

Since Meatless March, I have been eating a lot less meat than I did prior to Meatless March. But I'm still dabbling in meat, and I don't imagine I'll ever go entirely vegetarian.

When I eat meat, my choices aren't solely guided by environmental impact (cough cough bacon), but it's a consideration. And so when I have a hankering for seafood, I find this sort of information helpful:
"A number of popular wild fish — anchovies, sardines, herring, tuna, pollock, cod, haddock — have, on average, a lower carbon footprint than chicken or pork. Mollusks like clams, oysters and scallops are also great low-carbon choices." - from the NYT Q&A on food and climate that I keep going on and on about

Tonight, then, I sautéed scallops, and added them to Trader Joe's Linguine with Clam Sauce, which comes frozen in a bag. I cut the kernels from an ear of corn and threw those in too. The result was pretty good, and oh so fast! Large scallops only need a couple of minutes on each side, and the bag of pasta cooks in 7 minutes in the microwave. Two thumbs up.




This week has brought good and bad news for the environment. On the good side, the "sister" town to my own has passed its version of a plastic bag ban, and as far as I know, my own town will follow soon. On the bad side, well, it's overwhelmingly bad. You probably heard about A MILLION SPECIES on the path to extinction. That is seriously lousy for those creatures, but apparently scientists have learned that most people don't care much unless they realize there are repercussions for us self-absorbed humans too. Find your reason to care, whatever it is, and then take the steps you can to counter the trend:

  • Eat less meat
  • Avoid buying more food than you can consume
  • Avoid using fossil fuels excessively: take public transportation or walk or buy a fuel-efficient vehicle; and insulate your house well
  • Don't pollute your environment with chemicals like pesticides, and don't litter
  • Buy things used and repair the items you own, rather than generating constant manufacturing demand for new stuff
  • Tell the world about these and other steps you take. Help make it the norm for people to think twice if they're acting in ways that hurt the planet.

Comments