Crunchy Cabbage Skillet Dinner

I feel too exhausted by the depressing assumption that omicron is coming for all of us to say anything more about omicron, so let's just skip to the food, okay? Okay.


I have a good one for you today: "Crunchy Cabbage Skillet Dinner" (Delicious Living). The link is to an instructional video rather than a recipe, but one viewer was kind enough to transcribe the instructions in their comment on the video, so I give it to you here, with my all-important change in blue:

Crunchy Cabbage Skillet Dinner


Ingredients for 4 generous servings:

Olive oil -- about 2 tablespoons

5 tablespoons butter

1 lb lean ground beef Jaylbyrd urges you to use FAKE MEAT!

1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Grinds of black pepper

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Half head of cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded

2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 cup full-fat sour cream


Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large skillet and 2 tablespoons of butter, heat until butter is melted. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, cook and stir for a few minutes. Add the reserved 3 T. butter and stir until melted. Add the cabbage, cook and stir for a few minutes, leaving the cabbage crunchy. Add 3 T. vinegar, stirring until incorporated and then the sour cream. Stir to heat through. Enjoy.


Why is my change in blue so important? Say it with me, loyal readers (all three or four of you, ha ha): choosing plant-based foods over meat and dairy is a step toward environmental sustainability. In fact, go ahead and substitute plant-based butter for the real thing in the recipe, and also do something on purpose that I did by accident: don't add the sour cream! Yeah, I forgot it, and guess what, it was STILL DELICIOUS.

What's especially amazing about the deliciousness was that I'm not wild about cabbage, so I was not expecting to like this meal so much that I would go back to the skillet for seconds. It is certainly all the oil and butter (or "butter") that makes it taste so shockingly good. I will allow that this dish may be healthier for the environment than it is for you. But you skipped the sour cream, so your arteries will be fine, just fine.

For my fake meat, I added four Impossible Burgers into the skillet and broke them up with a wooden spoon.

Impossible burger patties and a whole lot o' forearm


Are you wondering about my hat? In addition to being cute, it covered up the weird mess of hair I created on the back of my head when I French-braided my excessive tresses over the top of my head from right to left and then around the back until I reached the right side again. At that point I had put in too much effort to unbraid it, and thus the hat.

Tell me this doesn't look EXACTLY LIKE BEEF, and it tastes pretty close, too.

I served the meal with some crackers on the side (see photo at top), and then decided the crackers worked better crumbled on top. So good. Try it!


For more inspiration on food choices that can help save your planet, turn to Epicurious:


Comments