Egg Salad and Chocolate Mousse Bars

Despite the many infuriating things about the Olympics (sexist uniform rules, flawed drug policies, NBC's ridiculously selective coverage and often inane commentary, the potential to exacerbate the COVID-19 pandemic), I popped out of bed yesterday morning and hurried to turn on the live broadcast of the opening ceremony. I can't help myself. I love the good parts of the Games: athleticism, high stakes, sportsmanship, team spirit. This has been true since I was a kid, when I cheered for the likes of Mary Decker, Greg Louganis, Carl Lewis, Katarina Witt, Mary Lou Retton, and, yes, Eddie the Eagle

I started running when I was very small, but let's just say most of my ribbons were for participation

I remember feeling indignant when I learned that the Soviet Union was boycotting the 1984 Olympic Games, and then sheepish when told that the United States had done the same thing four years earlier. Ever since then, I have felt bad for the athletes who missed those Games, and this week I actually met one of them.

Craig Beardsley and my backup dancer

Craig Beardsley, world record holder in the 200m butterfly for three years, was selected for the 1980 team. Later, he joined an organization called Swim Across America that raises funds for cancer treatment and prevention research, and my backup dancer's swim team had a Swim Across America "swimathon" this week. Craig was there, and he was very friendly and engaged. It was an honor to meet him.

Craig wasn't my first encounter with US Olympic team members: at the University of Minnesota, I was starstruck when I found myself in an astronomy class with John Roethlisberger, a gymnast who competed in three Olympics before he retired. I remember making an awkward attempt at conversation, then he excused himself to leave for a meet in Germany.

Someone I knew in grad school dated Olympic gymnast Kerri Strug, and at least once a year I have a nice phone chat with Olympic speed skater Jason Hedstrand, who handles my mom's retirement accounts.

Kerri Strug on the right

I myself was always an average athlete at best (and when it comes to my gymnastics career, I was laughably bad, but it was the Olympics that inspired me to join the sport, and I had a blast). But maybe there's hope for Olympic glory someday for my backup dancer!

In 2016, I staged a mini-Olympics in our yard for my backup dancer and some of her small friends, each of whom chose a country to represent. We had a (tiki) torch, a parade of athletes, a variety of athletic events, and a medal ceremony. It was very cute.


At the time, I had a vision of recreating the experience for the same kids four years later. I didn't feel quite the same agony as 2020 Olympic hopefuls when my dream was dashed by the pandemic, but it is a shame that we're still waiting for vaccines for kids under 12.

Four years ago, representing Ireland on the medal stand, which was a picnic table

This week, at the Swimathon

Today I have a vegetarian recipe to help you get into Olympic form: Epicurious outlined how to make egg salad with beans, and no mayo. We all liked it, and one of my backup dancers said it reminded him of tuna salad. But a vegetarian filling for your sandwiches is a more environmentally friendly option than meat or fish.


I also have a recipe if you aren't pretending you'll ever get into Olympic form: "No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Bars" (NYT Cooking; subscription required). Sooooo decadent and delicious, and perfect for these hot summer days. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, and skipped the espresso powder. I made 2/3 of the recipe, placing it in an 8x8" pan, so they were thicker than in the recipe photo. Next time, I'll skip the parchment paper and cut them straight from the pan, and there's no need for a hot knife; they cut fairly cleanly and held together perfectly to eat by hand. They also kept fine in the fridge without any sort of lid or wrap on the pan, although admittedly we (okay, mostly *I*) finished them within three days.



Comments