Vegan Chili Crab

My small backup dancer had a birthday this week. Battling boredom and a growing sense of pointlessness, I committed to making it a ridiculous, over-the-top spectacle - an epic party that would be attended by zero guests. Was the excessive effort I poured into this for her, or for me? Does it matter?

The elaborate costumes and decorations I made honored the theme of her choice: Harry Potter. Introducing Lucius Malfoy, Hermione Granger, and Harry Potter:


We started the day with some lightning bolt pancakes.






These floating "candles" took ages to make, but I am pleased with how they turned out.


Lest you are wondering, that fourth setting at the table was just for symmetry! (Alas.)


This blog is about my efforts to support the environment with my food choices, but I made some eco-friendly decorating and costuming choices. The floating candles are made of toilet paper and paper towel rolls, with "wax" drips created with a glue gun, and then painted white. I acquired the stick for Lucius' scepter, Harry's glasses, and several plastic snakes from people selling or giving them away on a local "swap" group. I borrowed Harry's wand, Hedwig the owl, and other items from a friend down the street. 




Wait. You say you came here to learn about vegetarian food, not to marvel at how much we resemble fictional wizards? Mmmmkay. We'll make it quick.

I almost always avoid making spicy food, for the sake of my backup dancers, but a couple days ago I told them they were on their own, and I made "Vegan Chili 'Crab'" (Woon Heng). The recipe isn't super easy to follow, but the cooking isn't difficult once you sort out what you're doing. It turned out nice and sticky and flavorful.

The batter

This is how the cauliflower looked upon emerging from the oven





I had actual "chili crab" a couple years ago, not the vegan version, in Singapore. It was delicious. Honestly, this cauliflower recipe doesn't really compare, but it is good in its own right.





Comments