Enchilada Casserole

I've been at loose ends this week, feeling a little lost, waiting around, cold, fearful. 

Cookies help, but only so much.

For the past ten months I have been planning out meals a week in advance so we can get all groceries delivered, and that means that while "Healthy One-Pot Enchilada Pasta" (Peas and Crayons) sounded like a good idea the week prior, it did not sound like a good idea this past week, so I kept moving it into the future on my calendar, one day at a time. I had a hard time visualizing the making of it, plus I knew I was going to have to make my own enchilada sauce because FreshDirect doesn't sell any. I was unmotivated.

Finally, yesterday, I told myself it would be done in an hour and I just had to do it, and how it turned out is a perfect metaphor for my waste of a week.

The enchilada sauce (Cookie + Kate) was actually easy and good. I can recommend that.

But it turns out I somehow had no refried beans (I used extra sauce instead) or black beans (subbed cannelloni), or crushed tomatoes (subbed diced). I muddled through and decided it looked bland, so at the last minute I threw in a packet of frozen seaweed, because whatever.


In the end I was feeling sort of defeated and I couldn't be bothered with cilantro or other adornments, beyond some plain greek yogurt.


It was fine. It was edible. I'll have to slog through leftovers for lunch for days, while I wait for herd immunity and spring and the change of Administrations and signs that American democracy can somehow be fixed.

If you're looking for a genuinely delicious and easy Mexican-inspired one-pot casserole, go here instead: https://gomeatlessmarch.blogspot.com/2019/03/oven-baked-mexican-quinoa-casserole.html 

Comments