Ravioli with Vodka Sauce

Spring weather, a flexible schedule, and few cars on the road as everyone is hunkered down at home...when you're eight years old, these things set the stage for learning to ride a bike.

Teaching a kid to ride a bike is not a fun parenting duty. Let's just say that after one learning session, I was compelled to do a shot of tequila. But now I have accomplished it, and the results are dazzling, if I do say so myself.



Emma has also picked up some woodworking skills, after participating in a cool trial online learning program of local organization Maplewoodshop.





And the kid has learned the multiplication table up to the sixes!

I am sharing these achievements to illustrate that we are trying not to waste our life in social isolation, and we are so privileged in all sorts of ways. I am grateful for our privilege, and I feel guilty for nonetheless being gloomy, and weary of everything, and frustrated that even though I'm moving my backup dancer forward with learning and growing, I myself am stuck.

Today New Jersey's governor announced that schools would be closed for the remainder of the school year, and even though I figured that would be the case, nonetheless it brought me down. I don't enjoy my schoolmarm duties.

I dropped everything, and Emma and I made brownies. They were excellent, but not, like, "there's no pandemic" excellent. I suppose that to meet that standard is asking a lot of a brownie.


Brownies (Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook)
Makes 16 brownies 
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine (I use butter), softened[
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites (I use 1.5 whole eggs)
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt 
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with nonstick cooking spray. Mix sugar, margarine/butter, vanilla, and eggs in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool and cut.

For dinner, it was a pleasure to simply pull an order of ravioli (pea shoot flavor) from Nicola's Pasta Fresca from my freezer as the starting point for a meal. Nicola's is local to us, and they deliver! We like Nicola's lasagna too, and tomato sauce.



I made a vodka sauce (Little Broken) and spinach salad to go with it. I highly recommend this earth-friendly vegetarian meal.


Comments