Roasted Mushroom and Gruyère Sandwich

I am typing this post with the Golden Globe ceremony playing in the background, and while I can't help focusing on what I consider to be a regrettable trend of women neglecting to wear a shirt under their jackets, I'm tickled that the event planners changed their menu to vegetarian. Maybe there is hope for humanity, after all!

Fleabag: great show. Season 2 even better than season 1

Melissa Clark at the New York Times is on exactly the same page as me: trying to eat less meat, even though she loves meat, and spreading the word. Bonus: Her readership is a smidge broader than the four or so of you that read this blog!

Tonight I made a really lovely and easy vegetarian recipe: "Roasted Mushroom and Gruyere Sandwich" (NYT Cooking; subscription required).



Two thumbs up, even though the small backup dancer didn't finish hers because she was chowing on pretzels in NYC shortly before dinner. Upside: I got to finish the leftovers of her sandwich.

Photo courtesy of Lucas Calhoun

A couple days ago, also from NYT Cooking, I made "Smashed Red Potatoes With Cabbage," which was good but not great. I used Napa cabbage and should have used the regular leathery sort. Interestingly, the butter really shined through. I halved the recipe.

What do you think of my blue nail polish? Santa left it in my stocking!


I was going through some old photos recently and found a couple of gems, so I'll leave you with those.

My mom - 1970s, I imagine?

After I lost my first tooth. Everyone though I was a boy back in those days! A few years back, my mom presented me with a small envelope, and when I opened it, I found one of my baby teeth. I was HORRIFIED. She could not understand why I would be horrified by my tiny ancient tooth!

Did my father take this photo before my mom was ready? Or is this a photographic record of her abduction by aliens?



Comments