Curried Cauliflower Lentil Soup

Happy Vegan Vednesday! It's not my favorite day of the week, but it went well enough today, thanks to a solid plan: slow cooker oatmeal for breakfast (with a new addition of Maldon salt flakes along with a liberal maple syrup dressing), peanut butter toast for lunch on a fresh bakery loaf, and then Creamy Curried Cauliflower Lentil Soup (Minimalist Baker) for dinner, with a hunk of the aforementioned loaf and a Beyond Sausage.

Lunch. Not exciting, but it got the job done.

The soup was better than average, though I might not go for it on another day of the week. I had actually made it last week and frozen it, and it reheated beautifully on the stove.


Ah, but there was one odd thing about this recipe: "2 Tbsp coconut cream"??? Like the stuff in pina coladas? Maybe there's another kind of coconut cream that I should know about?



I shrugged and put it in, and couldn't taste it in the recipe. If I make this again, I'll skip it, not only because I'm not sure it adds anything, but also because then you have almost an entire can of leftover coconut cream. Tropical cocktails, anyone?

You may wish for a good stiff drink when you read things like a recent Guardian piece on how almond farming is destroying commercial and natural bee colonies. Nuts are also a water-thirsty crop. For these reasons, I avoid nut milks as a substitute for dairy milk, and choose soy or oat milk instead. Admittedly I don't know how environmentally friendly those crops are, either - but in general, raising cows for milk is more problematic than producing plant-based foods.



Comments