Celeriac in Brodo

At multiple points on most days in January, I curse winter. I am cold all the time, and weary of layering, and I pine for summer produce. If a person in New Jersey wants to eat sustainably, she's compelled to seek out produce that wasn't grown in Central America or some other far-off locale, and what does that leave her in January?



Celeriac. It even SOUNDS uninspiring. But okay, there's this site called Eat Winter Vegetables, and last week's noodle/Brussels sprouts dish from that site was a hit, so today I tried "Celeriac in Brodo."



It was NOT a hit. It wasn't awful, I just have no interest in eating it again, and I believe my backup dancers feel the same. Also, it unclear how long to cook it for the broth to be absorbed.



And is it too much to ask for a recipe to instruct on the level of heat at which to cook something?

This is what celeriac looks like on the inside. Interesting, no?

There are probably better celeriac recipes out there, and I am committed to sustainability in my diet. The world's population is expected to grow to 9.8 billion people by 2050, and assuming current diets and agricultural methods, the associated increase in food demand can't be met without accelerating climate change and essentially ravaging the planet. As detailed in a 2018 report, "Creating a Sustainable Food Future," one-fourth of annual greenhouse gas emissions is from agriculture-related activities, and about half those emissions comes from raising cows, sheep, and goats for food.

These facts are why it is better to:

  • Eat food produced close to you so that its transport doesn't create emissions
  • Eat plant-based food instead of dairy and meat
  • Eat all the food you buy instead of wasting it, which artificially drives up the demand for more food production
I tried vegetarian sushi a couple days ago, and defying all my expectations, it was delicious! The shiitake mushrooms had some kind of delicious sauce on them.

I don't do all these things perfectly all the time. Heck, I'm not even a vegetarian, although I eat a lot less meat than I did a year ago. But every time we eat local, plant-based food and avoid food waste, we're helping, and our help is needed as climate change bears down on us.

Can't end on that sober note, though, can we? So here's a picture of my back-up dancer at an instrument "petting zoo" during the intermission of a fun and free concert of the South Orange (NJ) Symphony Orchestra today.



Comments