Moroccan Slow Cooker Tagine

I have a lot of random ingredients in my cupboard that I bought for a particular dish but serve no further purpose, so sometimes I just google those ingredients with "vegetarian" or "vegan" and maybe "slow cooker," and see what comes up.

This time, the ingredient was pearl couscous, and the recipe that Google gave me was "Moroccan Slow Cooker Tagine with Chickpeas and Pearl Couscous," which can be made with our without meat. Needless to say, I went without, and the dish is vegan that way. My squash was large so it yielded more than four cups, and I threw in four chopped carrots, and 1.5 cups of pearl couscous. If you're cooking it on low, as I did, you might want to turn it up to high when you add the couscous, or throw in the couscous earlier. And I added the raisins with the couscous, because dried fruit stands up well to slow-cooker treatment. I think more raisins would have been even better.

I used just a little sprinkle of red pepper flakes but still the little backup dancer cried "spicy". Sigh.

But apart from that, all of us were delighted with the flavors and textures of the dish.

I forgot to sprinkle parsley, which would have improved the appearance

We ate it while watching "Home Alone", which is a surprisingly big hit with my backup dancer, seeing it for the first time. Second-grade humor, I tell you!



My writer's group is having a holiday gathering tonight so I baked some gingerbread cookies and iced them. You should know: my gingerbread cookies are excellent. My goal is always to hustle them out of the house ASAP before I eat them all myself.


Gingerbread Cookies
Recipe from Mrs. Carol Erdahl, my elementary school librarian!
Makes 2 dozenish

0.5 c shortening (use those Crisco sticks; so much easier than a tub of the stuff)
0.5 c molasses
0.5 c sugar
0.5 Tbsp vinegar

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and allow to cool somewhat.

2.5-3 c flour
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp salt
1 beaten egg

Put the cooled boiled mixture and the other ingredients in a mixing bowl, and beat them together. The dough will be easy to handle. Chill it, then roll it out without flour, 1/4" thick. Cut shapes and bake for about 6 minutes--until they only just start to color at the edges--at 375 degrees F.

Comments