Slow Cooker Vegetable Korma

This blog has become a record of how I sashay into every Wednesday with full confidence that I can pull off #VeganVednesday, then probably half the time, I end up unwittingly thwarting my own good intentions.

This morning, trying to find some solace in these dark days of November, I decided to treat myself to a (vegan!) coffee. Coffee makes my cold heart feel things. I try not to drink it too often, lest the magical effect should wear off.

I stood stupidly at the display case at the coffee shop, not even daring to imagine that any of the pastries might not contain butter, but LOOKING at them wasn't cheating on #VeganVednesday. DROOLING wasn't cheating. I turned away.

And then not two seconds later, I ordered a latte, and drank half of it before it dawned on me that I had not specified soy milk or oat milk or coconut milk or really any darned kind of milk that did not come from a darned animal. And then I was filled with dismay at my darned self.

I veered back to the plan for the rest of the day, at least. Lunch was a tomato sandwich that featured my fave bread recipe (from "How To Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman), but I had made it a couple days ago with olive oil instead of butter, and oat milk instead of cow's milk - and the loaf turned out perfectly as such.





Dinner was "Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Korma" (The Big Man's World), served over rice.



Unfortunately, while it was vegan, it was a flop. Even though I didn't screw it up--never a given!--it was wayyyyy too salty. And it while the ingredients went into the crock pot all bright and pretty, they emerged a grim yellow-brownish color. And five hours on high was far too much. The cauliflower all but disintegrated.



I think this is a recipe that could easily be dramatically approved, so I may well try it again with modifications at some point. But today, after gamely trying it, my backup dancers ended up pulling a bag of chicken nuggets out of the freezer, with my blessing. I still ate the korma, but it brought no pleasure, in what I will reiterate are these dark days of November that really call for some pleasure.

She looks happy because she hasn't tried it yet!


Comments