From Meatless March to Climate March

I walked to the station yesterday morning in time to catch a 9:40 train to take me to the youth climate strike march. I've turned into something of an environmental activist over the past seven months as I have cut down on meat and dairy consumption, and urged others to do the same, in response to climate change.

When I got to the station, I learned the 9:40 train had been cancelled. I discussed alternate routes with another woman waiting for the train, whose super-cute first-grade daughter introduced herself as Bridget. Were they headed to the climate march, I asked, but no: they were visiting from out of town, and did not even know about it. I reminded myself that not everyone is as wrapped up in climate change as I have become.

I am not much of a marcher. I used to live in Washington, DC and someone was always protesting something, and basically I just wanted all the do-gooders to stop blocking my way so I could get to my own do-gooder job and actually do some good.

My only marching experience prior to today was in 2017, at the March for Science in Trenton, NJ. I reluctantly decided that I owed it to humanity to show up. I went with a friend and it felt like the right thing to do.

2017 March for Science

That's how I felt when I got to today's march, too. The crowds were enormous as everyone got into position. Some people find that exhilarating, but I was sad, thinking how things are dire and scary enough that tens of thousands of people were compelled to gather (plus countless more in places around the world). But it was comforting to know I was surrounded by people who cared enough to do something.


The youth, marching for climate justice while on their phones.

When the march finally kicked off, I was far toward the back, so I actually walked a block out of the way and then a couple blocks parallel to the marchers with the idea of meeting the beginning of the horde further down, and rejoining close to the front. And that is when I came across Greta Thunberg, who apparently had chosen my re-entry spot as her entry spot.

Greta Thunberg appeared to me, heralded by a rainbow

She was with just a few people, and they slipped into the march so quietly that I watched plenty of people march right past her without even noticing her.

My encounter with Greta was pure coincidence, but I needed that boost of energy that I got when I saw her. And maybe people are right when they say "there are no coincidences," because believe it or not, on the train home, I ran into Bridget and her mom again.

"How was your day in New York?" I asked them.

"We ended up at the climate march!" her mom said. What do you know?!


Good job, Dominik, whoever you are, for sending someone in your place when you couldn't miss your test!


You see that window to the left of the green traffic light, under the tree? Pat and I lived in that amazing apartment for a year.


Comments