Greeklish Burger

I was meatless (apart from a few bites) for an entire month in March. How much meat do I eat now? I still cook seafood reasonably often, though I try to aim for the most earth-friendly choices. And I don't say no to bacon here and there....I mean, who could? And when we eat out, I am often uninspired by the vegetarian options on the menu, so I'll sometimes choose meat then, though I don't feel good about it. Of course there are excellent vegetarian and vegan restaurants, but I hope that non-vegetarian restaurant chefs will increasingly see an opportunity to offer appetizing and creative non-meat options. That's the future, right? Wake up, chefs!

So there is all that, and then there are burgers. Darn it, I still love beef burgers. I don't eat them constantly, but I relish them occasionally. So I was interested to read that the James Beard Foundation held a contest in 2017, called the "Blended Burger Project™," for chefs to create burgers using at least 25% fresh mushrooms blended into the meat. At least I'd be cutting down my beef consumption by 25%. That's better than not at all, in line with the philosophy of "don't do nothing just because you can't do everything."


"The Greeklish Burger" was one of the winning recipes, and I decided to make it. 

But first I had to figure out what Montreal steak seasoning is. A Canadian news channel offered an explanation and a recipe that was my starting point, but we might as well call this Jennie Steak Seasoning, because I was taking advantage of the spices I had on hand. I wasn't hewing too closely to the recipe, and the Quebecois might well be scandalized by my version, for all I know.

Jennie Steak Seasoning
  • 1 dried chipotle adobo Chile
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds

Lightly toast each separately in a dry pan until fragrant or until they start to brown. Combine with 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
and grind coarsely in a mortar and pestle, or in an electric spice grinder.

Add in:
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme and/or rosemary (optional)
Toasted spices and chipotle before grinding

The seasoning when finished


Now, for the burgers: what a silly recipe. Beef does not standardly come in 1-lb, 5-oz quantities, nor do mushrooms come in 13-oz quantities. I took a deep breath and combined 2 pounds of beef with 1 pound of mushrooms. I put in about 3 tablespoons of chopped capers, and 2 teaspoons of Jennie Steak Seasoning. I put them on the grill.



I topped the burgers with feta, but skipped the rest of the Greeklishness. I applied mayo and tomato, and brioche buns. And the result was.....



Oh my, it was so delicious. Just as delicious as a 100% beef burger. It's not actually saving the planet, of course. Two-thirds of a cow must still consume resources and produce greenhouse gases for me to enjoy this burger, theoretically. But if I'm going to eat burgers anyway--and for now, it seems that I am--then one-third non-meat is an improvement.

And those French fries, by the way? A specialty of my husband, with his Fry Daddy deep fryer. Crazy  good.

*That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.



Comments