Fettucine with Zucchini and Pine Nuts

Has it started to seem to you like everything I cook has zucchini, tomato, or corn, or all three? Well me too, and I'm not sick of them yet! I can't get enough of those farmers market gems.

The recipe for tonight's "Fettucine with Zucchini" (NYT Cooking; subscription required) called for salting the zucchini pieces, then later rinsing off the salt. But when I finished the dish, I felt it needed salt, so if I try it again, I'm going to see what happens if I don't rinse the salt.

High blood pressure is probably what would happen to most people, but I have unfailingly healthy, low blood pressure. Also, a friend of ours who is a doctor once told me that my slow heart rate meant that it will tick forever, which I took to mean that I will never die. So, hooray! And pass the salt please.

Right after adding the zucchini


Another weird thing about the recipe is its claim that a pound of zucchini is about six medium ones. Here you see two zucchini that I think can reasonably be described as medium, and they added up to a pound almost exactly. Six zucchini would have been preposterous.



Emma and I both enjoyed this dish, although Pat was not wild about it. The fresh pasta was really enjoyable.



CNN.com posted a climate change quiz, and I took it, and I performed horribly, especially for a person who thinks a lot about climate change and how I can do my part to fix it. You're going to have an advantage over me if you take it because you'll know that I was a little annoyed by not getting information about what individuals can do to address the #1-impact action: clean up chemicals in our refrigerators and air conditioners. Does it help that I rarely use the air conditioner in my car, because I love summer so much and want the breeze to wash over me even when it is 98 degrees out?

This blog is all about addressing the fourth-most-impactful activity, eating more plants and less meat (I waste very little food, so I've got #3 covered too). And I am ready to kick it up a notch. I hereby announce.....

***Vegan Vednesdays***


Yes! I now plan to eschew all animal products one day a week. This will not be easy for me. I love dairy, man. I LOVE DAIRY SO MUCH. But I think it is achievable at least one day out of seven, and I believe that every little personal contribution is relevant to addressing climate change. Will you join me in observing Vegan Vednesdays?




Comments