Grain Salad with Ginger Sesame Dressing

Yesterday my backup dancer lost her first tooth. Today was her last day of first grade.



They grow up so fast, don't they?

HA HA HA JUST KIDDING! I feel like I have been a parent for thousands of years. I can't really believe she's not old enough to drive herself around yet, and to make ME dinner. So, for now, I continue to cook, mostly vegetarian.

This recipe for "Quinoa and Wild Rice Salad With Ginger Sesame Dressing" (NYT Cooking; this link is free) is a great one for spring/summer, when you can take advantage of fresh cucumbers, peppers, and whatever the heck else you are moved to throw in. Don't be constrained by the recipe's (rather intimidating) list of 18 ingredients! It's a vegan dish.



I didn't have edamame, but I did throw in a defrosted packet of kelp, and it was a perfect addition (have I become that person who puts seaweed in everything?). And I used a wild/regular rice blend because that was what was in my cupboard.

My sole complaint about this recipe is that it estimates you can make the dish in 10 minutes. That's if you already have cooked quinoa and wild rice on hand. Oh please. Who just randomly has cooked quinoa and wild rice sitting around in their fridge? But leaving that aside, it is easy to make.

And I loved it, and my small backup dancer said she wished she could have it for every meal. My other backup dancer felt there was some flavor he wasn't wild about, but among the aforementioned 18 ingredients, he couldn't pick out which one presented the issue.

Comments