Coconut Noodles

It has been a kind of tough week. I got this sinus affliction, and then my computer spontaneously tried to upload a new operating system, and failed miserably. The whole thing had to get wiped. I have been good about backing things up since the Unfortunate Water Glass Mishap of late 2017, but still, I had to make 2 trips to the Apple store, I was frozen out of my work email for a bit, and getting Microsoft Office back turned out to be a chore.

Nonetheless, I have religiously maintained my commitment to meatlessness.

Naw, that's a lie, I'm afraid. I grilled beef burgers on Friday and they were SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD, and Saturday we hosted friends for brunch and I ate approximately my weight in bacon.

Well, it's a marathon, folks, not a sprint, and today I turned a chicken recipe into a tofu recipe ("Coconut Noodles" from NYT Cooking; subscription required). I wish I could report that this was an act that represented a comeback, a triumphant return to my former glory, but the results were pretty unremarkable. Nonetheless, this blog format does necessitate remarks, so....




I substituted 1lb of tofu for the chicken, 2T cornstarch + 2T flour for the chickpea flour, a packet of seaweed for the fish cakes (what in the sam hell are fish cakes?), veggie broth for the chicken broth, and chow mein noodles for the "deep fried rice noodles" (again, what?). No chiles or lime. Results were thicker than a soup, and while good, the flavor was not very memorable. Might benefit from adding veggies? and more coconut milk and/or broth?

The shallots were a mystery to me. Does anyone really eat huge shallot bulbs in a  dish like this? I picked them out.


Milk mustache


The holiday weekend is at its close and tomorrow starts a new, mercifully shorter week. I'm gonna get back on top, you'll see.



Comments