White Bean Burgers

NYT Cooking's "White Bean Burgers" (subscription required) are a lot easier to make than NYT Cooking's "The Ultimate Veggie Burger," and they're not really comparable anyway. The latter aims to resemble meat; the former is its own meatless thing. Pat actually preferred the white bean burgers.

I cut the recipe in half but, as is my signature move, I forgot to halve one ingredient (the egg) and it turned out just fine. I cooked them on the sandwich press rather than in a skillet, so I wouldn't have to flip them.




Hey, guess what? A new study claims that meal kits are actually better for the environment than the traditional shopping and cooking model, on the whole. I did not see that coming. I'm afraid that rather than being encouraged, I'm just ever more dismayed that there is no way to live and eat without degrading the planet.

Nonetheless: my tulips and azaleas and bleeding hearts are blooming, and thanks to plenty of rain, the grass all over town is a shade of green that looks as if it cannot possibly be natural (yet it is!). Even though I'm listening hard to Greta Thunberg and acknowledging the climate crisis as she demands, if we don't still find some joy in our existence, then what will give us the strength to make change?


Comments