Cauliflower Gratin

Last November, we were part of a wacky and wonderful endeavor by two of my college friends and their three kids. They made our house a stop on their school-year-long journey around the country, visiting friends and family. We hosted them for a little over 2 weeks. For the most part, Mandy and I teamed up each night to cook for our two families. It was good fun to have someone to chat with while we worked (I sometimes feel lonely in the kitchen, ever since then!), and it was sort of exhilarating to pull off cooking full meals for 8 people night after night.

A few weeks ago Mandy followed up to ask for one of the recipes we cooked, "Roasted Cauliflower Gratin with Tomatoes and Goat Cheese," from NYT Cooking (subscription required). I could barely remember making it, but she reminded me that it was good, and urged me to make it again in pursuit of meatlessness, so that's what we had tonight! And it really is good - a great blend of flavors, and reasonably healthy.

You could serve it as a side dish to something else, or make it your entree. I put a few asparagus spears on the side because we had some on hand.

It's not quick, but it's not difficult. I used a dash of powdered coriander rather than toasting and grinding my own seeds.

Red onion, garlic, thyme

In the background, you see the cauliflower, post-roast

Before going in the oven...

...and after coming out. Pretty, isn't it?

Comments