Grilled Cheese and Broccoli Sandwiches

If you live in my area, you are familiar with Arturo's, a mouth-watering pizza and pasta restaurant that supports all the other restaurants in downtown Maplewood, because people eat at the other restaurants when the line is too long at Arturo's.

The owner of Arturo's has lately opened a bakery/cafe called The Bread Stand, which I visited today for the first time. I had a latte and a delectable pain au chocolat and read an interesting article about Rachel Carson in a year-old issue of The New Yorker. Once, when I was young and had almost no obligations, I was always caught up on The New Yorker. Now I'm thinking that when I retire someday and send my child off into the world, there will be an opportunity for me to again be current with The New Yorker. I'm sure everyone misses me starting half my sentences with, "I read this article in The New Yorker..."




At The Bread Stand, I also bought a loaf of ciabatta to make tonight's sandwiches. The recipe is from my old-school Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook. The book is dated, yes (for example, who uses margarine anymore?!), but I have always found the recipes have good blends of flavors.



Needless to say, I did not use margarine for these sandwiches. I substituted olive oil. And I used smoked cheddar. And I cooked them in a sandwich press rather than a grill or skillet.

I should have known that ciabatta was the wrong bread for these sandwiches. By nature, it has a lot of holes in it. I ended up using basic sandwich bread instead.



My final note about the sandwiches is that to give them a little extra oomph, I would suggest you could mix a little cayenne or sriracha into the filling before spreading it onto the bread - but I didn't try that.

I served the sandwiches with "Cilantro-Lime Roasted Cauliflower," always a hit with my back-up dancers, from the Skinny Taste blog.



Today I received a response to a message I wrote on Monday to the New York Times Cooking editor, Sam Sifton. I had inquired whether he would please consider shifting the orientation of his "What To Cook" newsletters a little, such that meat is slightly less of a focus. His reply noted, "we're working right now on a big collaboration with the climate desk, as it happens, all about the issues that you raise." So that's exciting!

Comments